Re: Backups of /home/Debian/{ftp,iwj,bruce,www-master,?}

Mike Neuffer <mike@i-Connect.Net> writes:

> The problem is that the files you lost are somewhere burried within
> about 2 dozend DAT tapes. Searching all of them would take ages.
>
> If someone can point me to a good and _FREE_ backup software that keeps
> track of which files get stored on which tape, we can change to it.

I'm working on a pair of programs pach (for pachyderm) and tog (for
tape organizer) that will probably do what you want (tog is optional).

pach is a backup utility that, like tob, keeps track of all the files
that went into each backup, but it also records the files that have
been deleted since the last incremental so it can almost exactly
recreate a particular setup if desired.  You can also do searches
across all the backups it knows about.

pach uses an abstraction that's similar to revision control in that it
supports trees of backups where there's a full backup at every root,
and each node has one or more incremental children.  (This makes much
more sense in actual use)

pach also supports multiple volume backups and restores, even to
remote devices/files, even when there's no controlling terminal.  When
I get it released, you can see what you think.

tog is a program that manages a simple directory for your tapes, which
it caches locally.  Using this database, you can figure out which tape
a given file is on withough having to scrounge.  Right now tog is
still a little more primitive than I'd like, and the integration
(optional of course) between pach and tog is not as tight as I'd like.

Even though tog's not quite ready, I think pach is.  tog can be added
later.

I know this was a little scattered, but I'm in a bit of a hurry at the
moment.

--
Rob