Re: Various irregularities in base and devel section installs.

On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Chris Fearnley wrote:

> 'Dale Scheetz wrote:'
> >
> >Several other problems are from inadequate dependencies:
> >1. Installation of perl dies before complete unless libc5-dev is installed
> >   first. Perl needs a Pre-Depends: libc5-dev to avoid this.
>
> Oh my, I hope not.  This would be bad.  Since Perl functions properly
> in this failure case, Depends is the only header change needed, I
> think.

Depends is not sufficient, as the failure occures DURING installation.
This must be a pre-depends to insure libc5-dev is in place before
installation begins.

> >One final complication, actually a coupled set of complications, comes
> >from the tlc74/75 and tk40/41 packages and their repective -dev packages.
> >In the "run-time" versions having version 74 and 75 both installed at the
> >same time is no problem. The dev packages are another matter. For both the
> >tcl and the tk packages they each both provide and conflict with
> >tcl/tk-dev, so, if you install 40/74 first then you can't install 41/75
> >later without a --force-conflicts. (This, btw, suggests that only tk/tcl.h
> >and a none-too-small number of manpages would need to be renamed to allow
> >these two to coexist together on the same system)
> >It seems the intent here was to have only one of the two versions of the
> >development package installed at any one time. It would be nice if these
> >packages could, at least, be switched back and forth as the need arises.
> >Adding a replaces tk/tcl-dev field to these packages would allow this to
> >happen without needing --force-conflicts.
>
> I doubt that Replaces: will accept a virtual package name.  Another
> dpkg bug?

This is not a virtual package, it is a superceeded package. The replaces
field will allow tk41 to replace tk40 if it is already installed, and vice
versa. There is no bug in dpkg on this issue that I am aware of (aside
from the multiple replaces problem going on with elvis).

Luck,

Dwarf