Re: XFree86 3.2 is out, should we delay the release of Debian 1.2

In your email to me, Christoph Lameter, you wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, David Engel wrote:
>
> david >Dominik Kubla writes:
> david >> Guys 'n Gals, XFree86 is officially out. The new features are:
> david >> [list of features deleted]
> david >>
> david >> I think that these changes are of such magnitude, that a delay to include
> david >> XFree86 3.2 into Debian 1.2 might be at least considerable.
> david >
> david >I agree.
>
> I dont agree. The changes are so significant that it will take a
> considerable time until all X packages are tested / converted to use those
> features. Release 1.2 with the old X and then lets work on the new X in
> the unstable version.

I agree with your disagree. I know that here, in my circle, Debian is
losing credibility again due to the missed 1.2 date. It's unfortunate
to see key machines being converted over to RH. If any of the
scientists out there know CERN, they will see that they officially
support RH now. I had them swayed to Debian at one point... :(
I know there has been a tremendous amount of effort on everyone's part
to get this far, but let's get 1.2 out the door. Debian is getting the
reputation of always being late and behind.

Tim

--
 (work) sailer@bnl.gov / (home) tps@buoy.com - http://www.buoy.com/~tps
             "Too much information running through my brain,