Re: Debian release strategy (Was: Re: XFree86 3.2 is out, should we , delay the release , of Debian 1.2)

'Vincent Renardias wrote:'

>On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:
>
>> I thought 3 months was about right, if we can stick to it.
>
>	Ok, for 3 months, but it would be interesting if it could be a
>precise date (ie: 1st Dec, 1st March, etc...). If we just say each ~3
>months, I'm afraid we'll end up with a delay of 5 or 6 months like it is
>by now...

The problem last time was getting ELF issues resolved.  It was complex
and after the problems were conceptually solved, it took awhile for
all key packages to be fixed.  Fortunately, libc6 should be a breeze.

This time the problem was we didn't have Brian White to keep us on
track!

I think the release date should be based on technical things not
specific dates.  Things like bugs that will cause installations and/or
upgrades to fail (like missing conffiles or wrong
dependencies/conflicts/pre-depends, etc).  Or libc5 segfaults (like we
are starting to see now).  I say we stick to 3 months unstable and see
if Brian can keep us focused when the next release comes due.

--
Christopher J. Fearnley            |    Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com, cjf@onit.net       |    UNIX SIG Leader at PACS