Re: Debian release strategy (Was: Re: XFree86 3.2 is out, should we ,

'Bruce Perens wrote:'

>From: Chris Fearnley <cjf@netaxs.com>
>> Fortunately, libc6 should be a breeze.
>
>You're an optimist :-) . I guess since all of this stuff works on the Alpha

No, a realist!  We have solved[1] the complex shared library problem
(yes, the pacakge maintainers must follow the specs!  And when they
don't problems will ensue).  But new shared lib releases are no great
strain (especially with dpkg-shlibdeps around).

1.  The only unresolved issue that I see is retiring old shared lib
versions.  It is safest to keep old versions in the distribution
forever.  I think an old shared lib can be retired as soon as all
packages that depend on it are upgraded to support newer versions of
the shared lib.

--
Christopher J. Fearnley            |    Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com, cjf@onit.net       |    UNIX SIG Leader at PACS