XFree86-3.2 progress report

It looks like I won't be able to upload a new set of X packages on
Monday. Converting to the new source package format is taking longer
than I had anticipated; the constraint on new directories in source
packages (i.e. that every Debian-specific file has to be in the
'debian' directory) means that I have to re-work all the scripts.

I believe I hold the record for the number of binary packages
generated from a single source package; currently I expect to generate
27 packages:

xlib6
xbase
xlib6-dev
xslib
xmanpages
xbooks
xnest
xfntbase
xfntbig
xfnt75
xfnt100
xfntpex
xfntscl
xfntcyr
xserver-8514
xserver-agx
xserver-mach32
xserver-mach64
xserver-mach8
xserver-mono
xserver-p9000
xserver-s3
xserver-s3v
xserver-svga
xserver-vga16
xserver-w32
xext

In addition there will be a new version of the xcontrib package. I
will not be releasing a new version of the xcompat package. The
existing xcompat package should probably be moved into 'contrib'.

As you can see, xlib has been renamed to xlib6 and xdevel has been
renamed to xlib6-dev. There are three new packages: xbooks,
xserver-s3v and xext. xext contains dynamically loadable server
extensions; the servers no longer have extensions like PEX and XIE
statically linked.

Now that the transition to ELF is complete we can dispense with the
requirement that X client packages depend on the virtual package
'elf-x11r6lib'. They can use dpkg-shlibdeps as usual. The section on
elf-x11r6lib in the policy manual should be removed, as should the
entries for X libraries in /etc/dpkg/shlibs.default. Existing packages
that depend on elf-x11r6lib will, of course, continue to work.

I will next be able to work on the X packages on Tuesday
evening. Hopefully I will be able to upload the first attempt on
Wednesday or Thursday.

Steve Early