Re: FTP reorganisation (was: Re: stability of non-free?) xyzzy

On Sun, 3 Nov 1996, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> I think we are right now only mirroring the FTP archive. There was some
> talk awhile ago to decentralize the WWW stuff. We could easily do it over
> here.

I think it should stay centralized, otherwise we get even more problems.
Bug reporting, www pages and ftp archives are all interconnected.

> And a question:
> Why do the developers homedirectories need so much storage? The only thing
> I have in my account is an e-mail forward. You cannot build packages on
> debian.org right? So what except e-mail forwarding and uploading can one
> use an account on master for? (Just curious).

Theoretically you can also compile stuff here, but unless you have other
means to do it, you definitely shouldn't.

I am _thinking_ about adding another machine, which could be used
to periodically recompile the WHOLE distribution and to create
automatically new packages which will then be finally consistent
in the environment they have been created in.

Developers would only upload source packages at that point, which would
get integrated into the source tree.

This is something we should work towards to. It would mean quite a bit of
work to get to this point, but it is the only way to get a clean
distribution. All commercial OS developers (yes even including M$)
do this.

Mike

Michael Neuffer                i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
mike@i-Connect.Net             14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140
503.641.8774                   Beaverton, OR 97005