Re: "autoinstall" with debian

From: Dan Stromberg <strombrg@hydra.acs.uci.edu>
> It seems a number of packages do not like to dpkg with --root or
> --instdir.

I think they work OK if you "cd" to the directory you will "chroot" to
before you run "dpkg --root". Please verify this for me, or give me a
better description of the problem.

> so naturally I needed to extract base1_1.tgz first

Download the boot-floppies package from "unstable" and see how the
basedisks.sh package does the installation. This is your only alternative
to using base1_1.tgz . You need some packages installed before you can
_run_programs_ at all. Thus, there is a chicken-egg problem.

> If I compile a list of packages that are requiring the chroot,
> do I have a reasonable hope of seeing them changed "RSN"?

Please make sure it's not the chicken-egg problem before you file a bug.
We know, for example, that you can't just install the "libc5" and "ld.so"
packages on an empty partition and expect them to work - there is no
environment for the postinst scripts to execute in. The way I deal
with this in basedisks.sh seems to be simple enough for others to
duplicate.

> Would it be reasonable to drop the "package alternation" [in favor of
> virtual packages]?

It's there because virtual packages came later in the development of
dpkg. You can indeed drop the "package | package" syntax if you have
determined that all of the candidate packages correctly provide one
virtual package name. However, I don't think it breaks anything.

> I'm looking for something that will do this sort of thing
> -non-interactively-.

Please explore the --get-selections and --set-selections flags in
dpkg-1.4.x.x . This deals with the selection of packages problem. We
have not dealt with how to pre-set input to post-install scripts, although
we have a proposal from Lars Wirzenius to create a configuration
database that could handle this.

> Is there an existing facility for -not- starting up daemons while
> installing?  Aside from temporarily linking start-stop-daemon to
> /bin/true?

I think I do something similar to the above in basedisks.sh .

> How does debian keep track of which packages are currently installed?

Please read the Dpkg Developer's Manual and the Debian Policy Manual,
on our web site under Documentation.

	Thanks