Re: Definition of "free" (was: New Package: defrag 0.6-1)

On Sat, 9 Nov 1996, Syrus Nemat-Nasser wrote:

> Normally, I would never involve myself in this kind of discussion

No, nor would I ...

> but I think that one question is perhaps most important:  Since Debian
> is in fact Debian/GNU Linux,

Err, no, it's Debian GNU/Linux.  I'm not just being pedantic, the placing
of that slash is *very* important.  GNU/Linux is used because, although
the kernel is Linux, it is clear that without the GNU utilities &c we
wouldn't have a working system.  That doesn't mean we're obliged to follow
one definition just because it's what the FSF says.  I'm not saying that
they're necessarily wrong, I'm just saying that we should think what we
think for ourselves, not what we're told to think.

Cheers,

Nikhil.

--
Nikhil Nair