Future architectures to be supported by Debian - Some thoughts.

Hello,

now that Debian/68k seems to be nearly ready for release, the alpha port
appears to progress steadily, i wondered what happened to the SPARC port?
Are the developers still with us?

In any case there are some other ports worth looking at, even if we do not
support them (officially) at the moment:

* Linux/x86 for Microchannel

  Apparently the MCA people have been using Debian as their
  distribution of choice, there seems to be a installation disk set
  somewhere out in net-land!

  Maybe somebody can contact them and coordinate the development so
  that be can provide the information and images needed to install
  Debian on those poor PS/2 beasties on the main FTP site (most likely
  in experimental).  From what i've read on the Web page quite a lot
  of the PS/2 systems are supported.

  The URL is: http://glycerine.itsmm.uni.edu/mca/

** Linux/PPC for PCI-based PowerMac's

   In a recent posting (Nov 6) Paul Mackerras announced support for
   PowerMac Models 7200/7500, whichout using the Mach kernel (like
   MkLinux).  So far MkLinux user-land is still needed for a complete
   system.  Looks like a case for the Debian Project!

   The URL is: ftp://cap.anu.edu.au/pub/linux-pmac
   The mail address of Paul Mackerras is: paulus@cs.anu.edu.au

* Linux/ARM:

  There a is port to the ARM-based RISC computers of Acorn, Cambridge
  UK.  So far this port is not supported by any major distribution.
  Someone with too much time might want to give the author a hand in
  setting up an initial Debian/ARM.  From what i read on the Web pages
  it looks like Linux/ARM is running on Digital's StrongARM evaluation
  board.  Together with the ELKS project that gives a strong
  perspective for Linux on the embedded controller sector!

  The URL is: http://whirligig.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~rmk92/home.html
  The mail address of R.M.King is: rmk92@ecs.soton.ac.uk

Dominik Kubla