The unanswered Question

I have the following files on all my servers (except the Shell Server):

[miriam]~:l /usr/sbin/{strobe,statnet}
-rwsr-x---   1 root     admin       50404 Sep 11 12:14 /usr/sbin/statnet
-rwsr-x---   1 root     admin       10636 Sep 11 12:14 /usr/sbin/strobe

These are diagnostic commands used daily by system administrators (we
have more than 300 entities on the campus network to administer). All
administrators are in the group admin.

The commands are part of the netdiag package and where made setsuid
later with a script.

(Disclaimer: THE NETDIAG PACKAGE DOES NOT INSTALL SETSUID BINARIES!)

The question that I have tried to ask again and again and that I never got
a clear answer for is:

Why is the above setup a security risk?

Why do you assume that the binaries can be executed or their
security holes be exploited by anyone on the system?

I would like to package netdiag in some way that it generates the
permissions indicated above on install/upgrade.

I have now to manually run some scripts after each upgrade on a
server. We have 5 Linux servers, with more to come. Then there are some
Linux workstations. It gets a little bit unnerving to always keep an eye
on those things. The admin group can easily be handled by NIS.

PGP Public Key  =  FB 9B 31 21 04 1E 3A 33  C7 62 2F C0 CD 81 CA B5