Re: SECURITY: [linux-alert] LSF Update#14: Vulnerability of the lpr program. AUSCERT 9610291550

On Sat, 23 Nov 1996, Alexander O. Yuriev wrote:

alex>  No problem. It was made publically available a while ago... Please drop me a
alex>  note when you test it.

Yes, Debian is vulnerable. Thats what I did:

        bash> whoami
        winni

        bash> gcc -o exploit exploit.c
        bash> ./exploit

        bash# whoami
        root
        bash# dpkg --status lpr
        Package: lpr
        Section: net
[..]
        Maintainer: Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de>
        Version: 5.9-12
[..]
         This is the standards UNIX printer spooler and associated utilties.
         You can use this for local and remote printers.

I suggest the following text for the section about Debian (please edit it,
English is not my native language):

	The standard configuration of Debian/GNU Linux (all versions)
	is to install the "lpr"-package that contains the vulnerable
        "lpr"-utility.
	The alternate Debian-package named "lprng" does contain a totally
	different "lpr"-utility that is _not_ vulnerable. But this package
	is not installed by default.

	To check what package you have installed just execute the commands

		dir /usr/bin/lpr
		dpkg --status lprng

	If they print out

		-rwsr-sr-x  1  root lp  14169 Jul 29 23:25  /usr/bin/lpr
		Package `lprng' is not installed and no info is available.

        it indicates that (a) you have a "lpr"-utility installed and
	(b) it is _not_ the "safe" version. In this case you should
	immediatly install the "lprng"-package by fetching the
        appropreciate package for your architecture ("i386" for intel
	PCs or "m68k" for Motorola-based systems) from

ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/project/experimental/lprng_2.3.12-2_i386.deb
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/project/experimental/lprng_2.3.12-3_m68k.deb

	The installation of the package is straightforward, e.g.

		dpkg  --install  lprng_2.3.12-2_i386.deb

	for the i386-architecture.

        NOTE:	After installing the "lprng"-package the unsecure "lpr"
		seems to be installed, too.  *THATS OK.*
		It's because the configuration-files (/etc/printcap) are
		not deleted but re-used by "lprng". The binaries of "lpr"
		are deleted and replaced by "safe" lprng-binaries. You
		can confirm this by executing "dpkg --status lpr" which
		should report "Status: install ok config-files".

Hm. Longer than I first thought.

-Winfried