Our name (Was: Re: 1. RFD: Reorganization of the Debian Project)

Sorry, I know this is a side issue, but it *really* irritates me when key
developers go using the wrong name for Debian.  If we don't know what
we're called, how on Earth is anyone else meant to?  For instance, when
the lpr security thing came up, the announcements quoted "Debian/GNU
Linux", which blatantly implies that it's Linux from Debian Association
and FSF.  It wasn't corrected by Sven, though I'm sure that must have been
an oversight on his part.

Dominik Kubla:
> 3. Registering the "The Debian Project" as (non-profit) organization.
>    Thus allowing the project to accept donations and to collect fees
>    for the usage of its tradmarks (see below).

Umm, if we're "The Debian Project", then who are "Debian Association,
Inc."?  They're mentioned on the Copyright notices ... I always thought
that was us, but am I wrong?

> 4. Trademarking the names "Debian", "Debian Project" and
>    "Debian-Linux"

Again, isn't it "Debian GNU/Linux"?  [I'm not implying that I'm in favour
of trademarking - I'm not, as it happens, but that's irrelevant.]

I know I'm probably being picky, but surely we ought to be calling our
product by its proper name ... it's not that difficult, honest! :-)

Cheers,

Nikhil.

--
Nikhil Nair