proposed interim operating rules

I propose we use this rule set until the new board of directors can draft
a proper constitution. This is very short, but hopefully it is enough to
get a new board in place so that they can draft a more elaborate
constitution.

A mechanism for the orderly change of leadership is a critical part of
any organization. One the biggest fault of FSF is that they don't seem
to have one. Although they _do_ have a board of directors, it appears as
if they've made Richard president-for-life. Let's avoid that for Debian.

	Thanks

	Bruce Perens

VOTING MEMBERS

All currently-active package maintainers who have maintained their packages
for at least one year, or express a committment to continue to maintain
their packages for one year, are ellegible to vote to elect a board of
directors.

BOARD OF DIRECTORS

The board of directors will be composed of 7 members. The board will
elect one board member to be chairman. The chairman will serve for one
year. The term of directors shall be until January 12, 1998. The board
of directors shall draft a constitution by December 1, 1997 providing
rules for the subsequent director election.

APPOINTED POSITIONS

A Project Leader will be appointed by the board of directors to carry on
day-to-day operations of the project. The term of the project leader will
be one year.

ELECTION

A board of directors will be elected on January 8, 1997, by secret
ballot via e-mail of the voting members. Three voting members will
count the ballot, and report the outcome to the members.
--
Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com
Finger bruce@master.Debian.org for PGP public key.