Re: junkmail & sendmail (was Re: Email/News Gateways.)

[ Please don't Cc: me when replying to my message on a mailing list. ]

[ Cc-list heavily trimmed. ]

Craig Sanders:
> It would be good to have that easily enabled as a standard question in
> sendmailconfig.  A maintained list of known spam sites (cyberpromo.com,
> answerme.com, getrich.com etc etc) would be useful here too.

It would be good if Debian had a standard setup to take
advantage of such a list. It should not be Debian that
maintains the list, however.  It's a lot of work, and requires
constant vigilantism on news.admin.net-abuse.misc, among
other places, and good contacts with a number of important
ISP's. <http://www.vix.com/spam/> represents some people who
would be better at it.

However, Debian should probably not even suggest any particular
source of spam site lists. We shouldn't decide who gets to talk
with whom.

May I suggest http://www.iki.fi/liw/mailfilter.html ;-)

> Given the rate of growth, i expect that to be 10 to 15
> pieces per day by this time next year!

When I enabled my mail filter, in September, I got more than
10 per day, with a projected of over 100 by the end of 1997.
I haven't seen any since September.