Re: Thoughts about package maintenance...

Steve McIntyre <93sam@eng.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> It seems to becoming more and more of a problem that packages are being
> (effectively or actually) orphaned due to lack of maintainer time. While
> other maintainers would be willing to devote some time to some of these
> packages, it's quite difficult to do for fear of stepping on people's
> toes. Of course, this is most noticeable on large packages where many bugs
> can be filed and not dealt with for long periods due to this sheer size
> and complexity.
>
> My proposal would be to add extra mailing-lists to lists.debian.org such
> as, for example, "spong-maintainers" on which maintainers could add and
> remove themselves as and when they want to help. There would still be a
> central person responsible for releases of the "spong" package and control
> and integration of patches to it, but all people on the mailing list could
> volunteer help in bug-fixing and testing. This could help to shift some of
> the old bugs we still have outstanding and maybe also reduce the impact of
> one person temporarily not having time to properly maintain his/her
> package.
>
> Thoughts?

IMHO this does not provide new options. You already can take a
package, fix bugs, and send the patch to the Debian package maintainer
(either directly or via the bug tracking system). The maintainer can
place intermediate releases into experimental, so they can be tested
by others.

The bug tracking system already provides mechanisms for communication
in a small group of developers. One has to be carefull to send all
important information to the bug tracking system. One could use a mail
filter for extracting the interesting messages.

Probably this should be documented.

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de> ; WWW : http://www.sax.de/~sr1/