I18N (Was: Debian 1.2 Announcement in german...)

Christoph Lameter <clameter@waterf.org> writes:

> On Sat, 14 Dec 1996, Dominik Kubla wrote:

> kubla > Nord-Amerika:
> kubla >   ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/
> kubla >   ftp://debian.crosslink.net/debian/
> kubla > Deutschland:
> kubla >   ftp://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/pub/debian/
> kubla >   ftp://ftp.Uni-Mainz.DE/pub/Linux/debian/
> kubla >
> kubla >Diese Server verfügen über eine Liste mit weiteren FTP-Servern in der
> kubla >Datei "README.mirrors", so daß Sie den nächstliegenden
> kubla >FTP-Server finden können.

> Ich wuerde die Server in Deutschland zuerst listen. Vielleicht kann man
> auf die Bekanntgabe der Server in Nord-Amerika ganz verzichten?

I wouldn't omit ftp.debian.org, it seems wrong to leave out the
"central" server. (Someone may want to check it to see if their mirror
has the latest version, or they may wish to use it if the german sites
are down.)  Are there mirrors in other german-speaking countries?
Austria or Switzerland? They should be listed too.

> kubla >F: Wie steht es um die Internationalisierung?
> kubla >
> kubla >A: Es gibt eine Untergruppe von Debian-Entwicklern, die sich um die
> kubla >Internationalisierung von Debian kümmert.  Übersetzungen der Debian-
> kubla >Dokumentation in unterschiedliche Sprachen sind erhältlich.

> How is the situation with the internationalization? I noticed that Red Hat
> already has the RPM itself internationalized and uses a special library
> for this purpose.

I checked dselect 1.4, the messages are in English. (I set LANG to 'de'
- this will change the output of tar --help, so I assume it is the
right environment var. to change.)

This should be on the list of things to do for 2.0 - If we are going
to announce Debian in German, French, Italian, etc, we need to make it
possible to install in the respective languages.

Steve
dunham@gdl.msu.edu