Re: Composit list of reported problems with 1.2

On Mon, 16 Dec 1996 Dirk.Eddelbuettel@qed.econ.queensu.ca wrote:

> This list of bugs so long (and serious) that I'd rather wait for the
> "non-nerd" announcement of Debian-1.2.

As far as I know 1.2 is released. This list is what we can fix for 1.2.1
Several (mc dependencies) are long standing bugs.

> We have to do more testing before we make public releases or we will gain a
> reputation for sloppyness.

Most of the list is quickly fixable by correcting dependencies. And even
the cron bug is a one line addition to the postinst script. If we can
squash these bugs in the next week or two and call the result 1.2.1 we
will look a lot better than we did with 1.1.17 (or whatever it finally got
to)

This idea that releasing software with bugs is some kind of dispicable act
needs to be dealt with. In a distribution as large as Debian has become,
fixing "all" bugs before a release is an impossible goal, sort of like
"perfect" security.
How many bugs there are is not nearly as important as the fact that this
group DEALS with them. In fact, asside from the great responsiveness of
the mailing lists, it has been my impression that users are most impressed
with the fact that something actually happens when you report a bug on a
Debian package!

We don't need to garrot ourselves over these bugs. It's much more
productive to just FIX IT! ;-)

Later,

Dwarf

This message was delayed because the list mail delivery agent was down.