Re: Cron Security Hole

On 17 Dec 1996, Daniel Quinlan wrote:

quinlan >I think the burden of basic security should be on package maintainers,
quinlan >not system administrators.  Instead of demanding that package maintainers
quinlan >add hooks so we can claim provisional security if the system
quinlan >administrator is aware of the holes we aren't fixing, perhaps we could
quinlan >consider a better approach.

The package maintainer can do nothing about upstream issues. We can just
package the stuff in a way allowing us flexibility to deal with eventually
upcoming issues. Flexibility regarding the setuid status of binaries is
very important not only for temporary fixes as with cron.

PGP Public Key  =  FB 9B 31 21 04 1E 3A 33  C7 62 2F C0 CD 81 CA B5