Re: Is it time to abandon Dpkg?

On Sun, 22 Dec 1996, Boris D. Beletsky wrote:

> Hi Bruce, You wrote:
>  Bruce>
>  Bruce> It's become very clear that the rest of the Linux world is
>  Bruce> standardizing on RPM as a package format. Debian is the only
>  Bruce> hold-out. The Dselect user interface sucks, and shows no
>  Bruce> sign of getting better. We could do a whole lot for Linux by
>  Bruce> embracing RPM as a Linux-wide package format.
>
> I do not believe it! Dpkg is one of the best things about Debian.
> We should make it better, not abandon it! What will be left of Debian
> community and of Debian as a distribution if we will not have our
> pkging system.
>
> I strongly object!

IMO, the advantage of Debian over say Red Hat is the fine grain approach
to packaging--we allow the installation of less MB of software because
most programs are offered as separate packages.  Assuming that RPM has
caught up in terms of dependencies and pre-dependencies, then what
difference does it make to offer .rpm files verses .deb?  Debian is also
commited to keeping all of its core parts free (as defined in the Debian
manual).  This too could remain a distinction.

Is Slackware going to switch to RPM?

Thanks.  Syrus.