Re: Is it time to abandon Dpkg?

Hi Bruce, You wrote:
 Bruce>
 Bruce> From: "Boris D. Beletsky" <borik@isracom.co.il> > I do not
 Bruce> believe it! Dpkg is one of the best things about Debian.
 Bruce>
 Bruce> It's also the #1 issue on which people criticize us.

Who cares! AFAIK our goal is to be GOOD linux distribution rather
then most popular, that is the advantage of non profit
organizations.

Yes, of course we should abandon dpkg if we truly believe that we
do not need it anymore, that means that all the time debian existed
as distribution - was a waste! Was it?

And another thing, if the interface to great (IMO) packaging system
sucks, it is not a good enough reason to abandon the packaging
system, period.

 Bruce> > What will be left of Debian community and of Debian as a
 Bruce> > distribution if we will not have our packaging system.
 Bruce>
 Bruce> I think the community doesn't turn on its package system.

Every time i was asked "what's so good about Debian?" I was talking
about packaging system.

 Bruce> We could make the switch and still survive as a Linux
 Bruce> distribution.

No, why would people use Debian.rpm if the can have the Real thing?

Borik

--
Boris D. Beletsky borik@isracom.co.il
For pgp public key, e-mail me