Re: Is it time to abandon Dpkg?

Bruce Perens said:

> You know, there's a funny thing about Slackware. Their programs are old,
> they have no packaging system, and still more people run it than any other
> distribution. This leads me to think we're working on the wrong issues.

I'm a "newcomer" in Debian, but I would like to add my 2 cents here.

IMHO, the "Slackware fenomenon" has the same origin of the RPM relative
success over deb. They have been widely avaliable first.

A lot of people installed Slackware as their first Linux distribution,
get used to it and advocated for it before RedHat or Debian hit the
market. Many of them will like changing to another distribution as
any random MS-DOS user will like changing to OS/2 or Linux.
If they don't 'feel' the differences, they will stay the same.
Time is needed for them to 'see the light'. ;-)

When RedHat offered their packaging system it was a quantum leap
over what was there, so they grew fast as the 'professional' choice.
(Was there a real alternative when Caldera started to develop their
distribution?)

Debian itself, in spite of being there since 1993, has been the last
one offering an stable release. (Not many people knew Debian here in
Spain before v1.1, and I think it is the same thing in many other
places out of North America). Its 'installed base' is growing quickly.
Yes, it still is smaller than RedHat's or Slack's, but all three added
still are a drop in MS's sea. And Linux is better, undoubtedly. :-)
'Principle of inertia' also applies here.

So, I don't really see the need to switch to RPM.
'deb' format is really good, people know it, and we have total control
over it to make it better. (I see the last one as another main 'pro' of
deb). Perhaps an open standard for a Unix packaging system would be a
Good Thing, but I don't think RPM or deb alone are the final answer yet.
As Lars said, we may go further cooperating...

(As a side note, I would like a better dselect too, but as many have said,
this is not a 'deb' format fault.)

	Best regards,
--
Enrique Zanardi                                            ezanardi@ull.es