Re: Is it time to abandon Dpkg?

[ Please don't Cc: me when replying to my message on a mailing list. ]

Shaya Potter:
> maybe we can make a hacked version of pgp that only verifies signatures.

Only if we forget about public keys, since encryption and
signatures with public keys use the same algorithms and code.
The difference between encryption and signing is whether you
use the recipient's public key, or your own secret key. The
rest is identical, save for trivial differences like the type
indicators in PGP output.

Better way to handle this: those living in police states (France
and Russia, I think) won't use PGP, and won't be able to verify
signatures. We can publish official MD5 lists on the web site
for them (not perfect, but better than nothing).