Re: Is it time to abandon Dpkg?

'Dan Stromberg wrote:'

>On Mon, 23 Dec 1996, Chris Fearnley wrote:
>
>> >c) create meta packages (why don't  gcc, binutils etc in one step. it's
>> >not useful in most cases, to install only one of them.
>>
>> This is not the cureall that I and others originally thought.  In a
>> allows one to add menu items that would serve as "meta packages"
>> without having the meta package burried amid the listing of all 800
>> available packages (see meta packages per se don't help any).
>
>What if:
>
>meta packages are nestable
>
>dselect allows one to click on the name of a meta package, to see its
>component packages

My point was that dselect needs to support meta packages.  What you
describe is almost the menu that I'm adding to dselect (except I
would't have clickable meta .deb packages).

Except my menu would have these features too:
 - sys admin editable /etc/dpkg/selectmenu.cfg so that one can pop
   in a site customized version before installing Debian on 200
   workstations and have exactly the same packages installed every
   where (unfortunately, you'd still have to answer all the postinst
   questions :(
 - allows the end user to switch from smail to sendmail (and
   eventually to exim or qmail) without having to deal with conflict
   resolution screens (i.e., uses dselect's built-in depcon resolution
   routines).  And do it via a general mechanism so other conflicting
   packages can benefit as well.

--
Christopher J. Fearnley            |    Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com, cjf@onit.net       |    UNIX SIG Leader at PACS