Re: Is it time to abandon Dpkg?

Our fearless leader (bruce@pixar.com) says:

>OK, someone please step up and say "I'm going to do this", and then do >it.
>The projects we need done to keep dpkg/dselect viable are:
>
>1. Separate the dselect back-end into a shared library and document its
>   interface. Make dselect work with it.
>
>2. Localize dpkg and dselect.
>
>3. Write a new front-end.

I'm starting on number 2 now.  I'm marking up the dpkg and dpkg-deb
sources to work with gettext, and am only holding out on dselect
until Ian gets some time to work with it, and I can see where he's
going.

Once I've done this, where do I send the changes?  Direct to Ian?
Anyway, I'll put a file of translateable strings somewhere so
that translators can pick it up.

--Galen