Re: Need status reports on PAM and LIBC 6, please

"Andrew G. Morgan" <morgan@parc.power.net> writes:

> In my previous mail, I mentiontioned libpwdb. This was a bit of a red
> herring -- it is not necessary to have it to make use of PAM. Some of the
> modules however do use it... [libpwdb provides an alternative to the libc
> calls for getpwnam etc.. It is structured radically differently to make new
> fields transparently implementable. Apart from this and the ability to merge
> the contents of one or more databases when looking up the identity of a
> user, it performs a task equivalent to the nis enhancements to libc. libpwdb
> is still under development but currently provides access to /etc/passwd
> /etc/shadow nis and radius databases. I would probably not advise making
> your mainstream distribution dependent on it quite yet although it is
> proving to be quite stable.]
>
> In summary, it is my feeling that you could build a reliable system around
> 0.55. You will have to make sure your applications abide by the API but you
> can get a head start by simply adopting Red Hat's apps.

What is the date for the next stable release?  For a change which
affects so many programs, I suggest at least 2 months of testing after
pam is released to unstable.  Andrew Morgan suggests not making the
mainstream distribution dependent upon it yet.

While shadow passwords are nice, I would prefer pushing the bo
release forward, perhaps without shadow support, but stabilizing most
programs.  Plan for pam in the *next* unstable, as soon as bo moves to
frozen.

--
Kevin Dalley
kevin@aimnet.com