Re: Impressions from the user-side

'Dan Stromberg wrote:'

>5) The default boot??00.bin floppy should probably have ncr53c810
>support, rather than ncr53c406 support.  ncr53c406 is under "other" in the
>scsi how-to.  The '810 is a recommended buy in the howto.  Note that there
>are -three- ncr drivers, two for the '810, and one for the '406.  Between
>the two '810 drivers, the one ported from freebsd is probably preferable,
>tho I do not have any experience with either.  I conclude this only
>because the freebsd driver was ported because the other had limitations.

No, I believe the BSD driver came first.  The Linux version is an
attempt to rewrite it from scratch.  I believe the BSD version
supports more hardware, but does so in a buggier fashion.  I get tons
of error messages each night when the tape backs up with the BSD
ported driver.  I just recompiled with the Linux-from-scratch driver
and so far things are better.  But I won't be fully satisfied for a
month or so ...

--
Christopher J. Fearnley            |    Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com, cjf@onit.net       |    UNIX SIG Leader at PACS