Re: Modest proposal for successful releases

On Sat, 18 Jan 1997, David Engel wrote:

david >On Fri, 17 Jan 1997, Dan Stromberg wrote:
david >> I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think this means too much of the
david >> year is spent in testing.
david >> ...
david >
david >I hate to be a "me too'er", but I agree that dropping back to 2 or 3
david >releases a year would be a good thing.

The problem of releases is more in the coordination of things than in
"testing". Basically we rework upstream stuff which is already tested.
Most problems we have is coordinating changes and making sure it all fits
together.

Perhaps we could have a small group of people who are responsible for the
release. They could make changes on their own to the distribution and/or
set deadlines for developers to fix critical bugs.
A dependency that is off or other minor issues need to be fixed
immediately rather than wait for the maintainer to fix the package.

We might also think about restricting the distribution to a "core" that is
tested well and then the non essentials of packages available but not
under the strict release regiment. The distribution is just too big to
test it all. Perhaps we could have stable/unstable releases only for the
core release and maintainers of packages outside of the core release have
their own responsibility of releasing stable/unstable packages whenever
they wish?

I am very much opposed to restricting releases. If we want the mainstream
to use Debian then we need regular releases. We need to work out a scheme
to make this to a routine matter, have establish boundaries of authority
and most of all simplify the matter as much as possible.

Please always CC me when replying to posts on mailing lists.