Re: Web Server Standard

Chris Fearnley:
> I'm sorry, I meant I see no reason for RAM space in the web standard
> for location of files in .deb packages (nor for those .html files
> created during postinsts).

I guess you mean ROM space.

It would be really nice to be able to have most Debian files in a
shared, read-only space. That's been part of the sytem architecture for
years. Conversion of documents to HTML can indeed be done in the
postinst (or at run-time), but it requires a (possibly large)
collection of text tools to be installed.  I'm not sure I understand
the advantages of that over doing it at package build time.

> I'd be more favorable to the web standard if some developer updated >
their package to support the standard and after that process gave the >
standard the nod of approval.

Vincent Renardias has been working on implementing it for WN.  WN has a
technical problem in that it wants to put a security-related file and
an index file in each directory that it serves. In the telephone
business they call that "in-band signaling" :-) I've suggested a way to
deal with this, but I don't think anyone has implemented it yet. It
would be easier to use a browser that keeps its security information
separately from the data it serves.

If it turns out nobody does it, I am just going to have to try to
implement it myself. If I can't do it, _then_ I'll withdraw the standard.

	Thanks

Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502
Finger bruce@master.Debian.org for PGP public key.