Re: official CD business

On Sun, 19 Jan 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> Do I really have no support on this official CD proposal I made to
> debian-devel?

Well, I'm just one voice in many Bruce, but I think the general
idea is a good one.  There were a couple of other suggestions
mentioned after yours that I don't think are so good, but your
is.  The matters of concern are with how to implement an
"official" image.  Perhaps you should have been more explicit in
this suggestion.  It seems that the current "debian/stable"
distribution would be the only thing on the image, and that
non-free and contrib should be left to the world as is (I don't
know how non-us fits in).  The other thing this suggestion may
allow the project to do is take a bold step in Linux
distributions and separate what it calls the "Debian GNU/Linux
Operating System" and what it calls Debian supported freeware
applications.  This would mean separating "debian/stable" into
"debian/stable" and "debian/stable-apps".  This may be too bold a
move, but its a thought.

> All I've seen so far are negative comments from Debian maintainers and
> positive comments from CD manufacturers. This is very unsettling. If we
> can't muster up the will to market our product better we are destined
> to fail.

Sorry about that, I've been working 80 hour weeks here and have
had the need recently get reaquainted with my wife ;-)  I meant
to send a response today.  If I knew you weren't getting other
positive responses, I would have sent it Saturday.  I think
having an Official Debian logo is a good thing as well.  We need
to pick a logo, and then have a licensing scheme to put it
everywhere.  Letting people use the logo for a very small fee
will raise a small amount of money, but get the Debian logo
everywhere we now see other linux logos.

The paid help desk is also a good idea, but I don't see why it
has to be connected to the free on-line effort.  Anyone should be
allowed to start up such a help desk without the blessing of the
group, unless I've missed something.  Calling it an "official"
debian help desk doesn't rub me one way ot the other.  We do look
for Sun Certified vendors for paid support contracts, but Sun has
an explicit certification path that anyone can follow to become
certified.  Without such authenticating mechanism, calling a
support desk "official" carries little weight anyway.  I would
sort of like to see the help desk service you mentioned
separated from the "official" debian business, but I'll
defintely support the whole proposition if it ever went to a
vote as is.

As far as legal fees are concerned, I'll do what I can to try to
find a sympathetic lawyer that may actually donate time to that
end.  I'm pretty far from home, though, so no promises.

The bottom line after all that nonsense is "me too" ;-)

Thanks

Richard G. Roberto
richr@bear.com
011-81-3-3437-7967 - Tokyo, Japan

Bear Stearns is not responsible for any recommendation, solicitation, offer or
agreement or any information about any transaction, customer account or account
activity contained in this communication.