Re: official CD business

Dale Scheetz wrote:
> I wonder just how much value will be gained by a 640 Megabyte object on an
> ftp site. If it becomes popular and gets used, the result will be many,
> long lasting, connections to the sites providing this image. If it's not
> useful, why do it?

If it gets used for pressing CD's, then it's being used appropriately.

If it keeps another CD from being pressed with a bad copy of debian,
then it's working out very well.

> > I've only heard from two CD manufacturers so far. They were both very
> > favorable. A third actually suggested the help desk, so I'm sure he'd
> > be favorable.
>
> I'm highly in favor of a paid help desk as another fund raiser for both
> the project and the providers of the help. I'm not clear on how this
> connects with the image issue.

I agree, the help desk could be a good thing (if it's low cost, and all
debian-profit - perhaps on e-mail and irc :), tho I suspect t-shirts
would be a better place to start.

> I hold the same motivation as a Gold CD seller. I'm just not certain that
> the "official" image will provide the intended results. We are already
> dragging our share of Slack and RH users into the Debian camp. We can
> continue to do that if we continue to improve the product. I don't see how
> an "official" image does that.

Right now, the single biggest thing debian needs to improve on is
testing.

If having an official image means finally putting the needed polish on
something, then that's another big plus for an official image.

> > Guys, this is really our last chance to make something of the system.
> > If we don't take steps now, the more professional Linux distributions
> > are going to walk all over us.
>
> I don't think so, but I'm only one guy...

I think Bruce is right about this.  Debian's getting walked on now, as
things stand.  EG, at UCI, people have just set up three new linux
mirrors: two red hat, and one slackware.

First and foremost, I think debian needs to get over its complacency
toward (if not irritation at) release engineering.  It'd also help to
increase openness to borrowing code from other places, EG some of red
hat's PAM modifications.

And sadly, also, debian needs less talk and more do.  Yep, I'm calling
the kettle black; where's the "to do" list?