Re: Debian release doesn't satisfy its own dependencies.

Bruce Perens wrote:

> We need one more - a script that reads the dependenceies from
> one or more Packages files, and tells if the distribution resolves all
> of its own dependencies. Dangling dependencies should be pointed out.
> This is a good project for a perl hacker. Please send mail to Guy and
> me if you want to do it.

I don't know if someone has volunteered to do this work, but in the
meantime I've hacked a script to produce something that's close to what
you are looking for.

The script is my deb-names (which produces also other lists from the
Packages file) and the functionality added needs only the -c (--check)
option.

The script is not able to cancatenate the input files (you requested
	> from one or more Packages files
but it is able to read stdin ( -f - ) so you can build a pipe.

You can find the script in my home on master or as anonymous in

	ftp://ftp.icenet.fi/private/fpolacco/

I've runned it against a copy of the Packages file that I grabbed under
1.2.2 some days ago, and it produced this output:

$ deb-names -c -q -f /opt/debian/Packages.1.2.2
aout-libg++:
        Suggested by:   aout-gcc
fdos:
        Suggested by:   dosemu
        Recommended by: mkrboot
giftrans:
        Suggested by:   hyperlatex
glimpse:
        Suggested by:   exmh
        Suggested by:   man2html
kermit:
        Recommended by: term
libmsql1:
        Suggested by:   apache
libtiff3-gif:
        Suggested by:   libtiff3
mpeg:
        Suggested by:   w3-el
netpbm:
        Suggested by:   hpscanpbm
        Suggested by:   hyperlatex
        Suggested by:   magicfilter
        Depended by:    mgetty-fax
        Suggested by:   w3-el
        Recommended by: xpaint
netscape:
        Suggested by:   fvwm95
pbmplus:
        Suggested by:   magicfilter
        Suggested by:   w3-el
        Recommended by: xbmbrowser
pdf:
        Suggested by:   w3-el
pem:
        Suggested by:   w3-el
pgp:
        Suggested by:   elm
        Suggested by:   exmh
        Suggested by:   w3-el
pgp-i:
        Depended by:    mailpgp
pgp-us:
        Depended by:    mailpgp
pine:
        Recommended by: mailpgp
        Recommended by: smail
seyon:
        Recommended by: term
sgmls:
        Recommended by: sgmlspm
showaudio:
        Suggested by:   w3-el
source:
        Depended by:    ax25-kernel-source
        Depended by:    ax25-util
ssh:
        Suggested by:   rsync
tk:
        Suggested by:   diald
vrml:
        Suggested by:   w3-el
wish:
        Suggested by:   hwtools
word-list:
        Suggested by:   ispell
xforms:
        Suggested by:   pcmcia-cs
xv:
        Suggested by:   fvwm2
        Recommended by: metamail
        Suggested by:   w3-el
        Suggested by:   xscreensaver

The script shows the reverse relation in the case the name on the left
is not related to any Provides field (or is a valid package name).

As you can see many packages are non-free o contrib packages (and this
relation could be a bug, cenrtainly if it's a Depends, like mailpgp).

I hope this is what you wanted; if you need any change, please tell me.

ciao,
Fabrizio
| fpolacco@icenet.fi  fpolacco@debian.org  fpolacco@megabaud.fi |
| fingerprint  70 1A 72 2D 2B C8 A5 63  7A C2 CC E0 2A 54 AE DA |
| finger for PGP key: fpolacco@master.debian.org                |