Re: New problems regarding the Distribution of Debian from the U.S.

"Brian C. White" <bcwhite@verisim.com> writes:

> > Looks like we can no longer export the Linux kernel from the US, since it
> > has firewalling capabilities...
>
> This is getting absolutlely crazy!  If Debian is going to continue trying
> to adhere to all these rules, we need to find a server outside of the US.

Before we go too crazy about this particular announcement, I think it
should be investigated a little more carefully by people more familiar
with legal matters.  Looking briefly at the orignal source of the
legal quote, it was unclear to me exactly what was being said
(surprise).  I could interpret it as either including or excluding
something like firewalling in the kernel.  I couldn't tell which
section was which, and didn't have the expertise or time to become
sure.

That's not to say that moving the distribution out of the US would be
a bad thing.  I'm not really excited about it since it's probably a
little more convenient for me having it here, but in the end, I want
what's best for the project.

Just wanted to make sure we were sure this is really a problem.
--
Rob