Election begins tonight & election rules

In the interest of not wasting time, I'm not going to ask for a
discussion on these rules.  I only want to keep this reasonably simple
and fair.  There may be a better way to do this, but it's more important
that we elect a board than we elect a board in the most elegant way
possible.  (This may be a principle that could be applied elsewhere.)

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to send me
email.

  Dan

1. VOTE DURATION

The vote will begin: Thu Jan 23 23:00 PST
The vote will end:   Tue Jan 28 23:00 PST

2. WHO CAN VOTE?

Only Debian developers may vote.

3. VOTE PROCEDURE

Send your votes via email to: debian-vote@pathname.com

The body of your email message should contain up to eight lines in the
following format, replacing anything between '<' and '>':

<tab>VOTE: <last name of candidate>

<tab> is a tab character.  Case distinctions will be ignored in the
candidate's last name.

Any entries after the eighth will be ignored.  You can vote for
anyone, including yourself, but only votes for nominated candidates
will be counted.  You may only vote for any candidate once.  Extra
votes for any candidate will be ignored, but will not deduct from the
eight allotted votes.

Subsequent vote messages take complete precedence over earlier ones.
All PGP-signed messages will be verified until I'm convinced.

If you believe the votes should be published, add the following line
after your votes:

<tab>PUBLIC

If you believe this vote should be kept secret, add the following line
after your votes:

<tab>SECRET

4. RESULTS

The eight nominated candidates with the most votes become members of
the board.  In the event of a tie that includes the eighth slot and
one or more subsequent slots, a run-off election will be held under
similar rules.

The name and email address of all voting developers will be posted
along with the election results.  An indication of whether each voting
developer voted PUBLIC, SECRET, or neither will be included in the
list of voting developers.

A determination whether to publish some, all, or none of the votes
will be based on how many people add the PUBLIC and SECRET keywords.
All votes containing the "SECRET" keyword will not be published under
any circumstances.

5. SAMPLE BALLOT

Here is a sample message for someone voting for only three people who
wants this to be a secret ballot.

- ------- start of cut text --------------