Re: Policy questions ...

Richard G. Roberto wrote:

> 2) What is the current bug reporting policy?  I see bug reports
> coming in for versions of packages that are sometimes 12
> revisions old!  This seems a little cumbersome for a package
> maintainer to have to sift through such reports against old
> versions.  Perhaps bug reports should only be filed against
> packages in stable?  If this is already the case, I apologize.  I
> haven't located the docs that describe the current practice.

MHO:
I think that we should permit reports against packages both in stable
_and_ in unstable, without pushing users to move from stable to
unstable.
If a real bug in stable is reported, we should fix it also in the stable
tree, maybe branching the release number of the package (thing this,
that the policy reserves for uploads by not-maintainers), in case there
were no holes available in the numbering progression.
This, combined with the growing request for only 2 releases per year
(which I oppose) means that each developer should have both stable _and_
unstable running on different machines/partitions.

Fabrizio
| fpolacco@icenet.fi  fpolacco@debian.org  fpolacco@megabaud.fi |
| fingerprint  70 1A 72 2D 2B C8 A5 63  7A C2 CC E0 2A 54 AE DA |
| finger for PGP key: fpolacco@master.debian.org                |