Re: Policy questions ...

On 26 Jan 1997, Kevin Dalley wrote:

> Jon Rabone <93jkr@eng.cam.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > One of the things I'm thinking of doing is a "bug-blitz" - try and fix as
> > many bugs in as many packages as possible. It needs doing and myself and a
> > few other developers have some spare time right now to do it. I'm not
> > going to turn this into a great longwinded discussion, because we have far
> > too many of those already. I would appreciate comments from developers
> > along the lines of 'Leave xyz alone, I'm fixing it and I'd rather you
> > didn't stamp all over it' so I avoid treading on as many toes as possible,
> > but otherwise, any package is fair game... :) There are too many bugs -
> > when it takes a noticeable time to load up the buglist from a machine on
> > the same network as the mirror Something Must Be Done.
>
> You definitely should not upload anything without trying to reach the
> developer, giving at least a week for the developer to respond.  It
> might be best to contact the maintainer before you spend too much much
> time on a bug.  When you have a potential fix, contact the
> developer and inform him/her of the fix.  Give plenty of time for
> response.  If no response is received, I don't know what you should
> do.

I guess the best thing to do is to send a mail to bug-number@bugs.debian.org
saying "here's the patch that correct this bug:
<diff follows>"

That way:

1/ If the package change of maintainer, the fix will "follow".

2/ You're sure not to step on anyone's toes.

And then if the maintainer didn't to anything after 1 or 2 months, I
guess you can say on debian-devel (cc: to maintainer) : "Hey I'm about to
take over package piposchmurtz, unless someone objects within 1 week").

NB: If you have a fix for the bug 6423, it okay with me. _(;

--
-  vincent@debian.org     | RENARDIAS Vincent |          vincent@waw.com  -