Re: Quality: some thoughts on achieving it (long)

"Brian C. White" <bcwhite@verisim.com> writes:

> I have to disagree with this.  Given the large number of problems that
> 1.2 caused and the possibly long period between 1.3 and 2.0, I think we
> should not shorten (and possibly extend) the development time of 1.3
> just to make sure it's in excellent working condition before release.

Why did 1.2 have so many problems?

Inadequate testing, policy misunderstandings, confusion of a new
packaging scheme, all multiplied by an explosion in new packages and
new maintainers.  I don't believe it was caused by too short of a
testing cycle.

Here's your last posted schedule:
Sat, Feb  1, 1997 -- Deadline for objectives for Bo

Mon, Feb  3, 1997 -- Bugs older than 10 months (will be 12 months by release)
                     will be marked as critical.  People might want to start
                     fixing/closing/forwarding these now to avoid the eventual
                     "nag" messages.

Thu, Feb 27, 1997 -- Bo will be frozen.

Fri, Mar 28, 1997 -- Bo will be released.

I certainly don't want to shorted the testing.  Let's just move
everything up.

Past              -- Deadline for objectives (Your list is a superset.)
Today		  -- Bugs older than 10 months marked as critical
early Feb         -- Freeze bo
early March       -- Release bo
.
.