Re: new maintainer verification

> What are work details?  Do you need to know where I work?  This is
> unlikely to be up to date for me.  I suppose that accuracy is less
> important than matching a database.  Just because a person
> is identified as genuine doesn't mean that the person filling out the
> form is that genuine person.  How do you prevent false identification?
>
> People are more likely to be in a database as their age increases.  Is
> this desirable for Debian.  Is it acceptable for any of our current
> developers to fail to be in the database?

There's some confusion here because Bruce mentioned credit bureaus.  We do
NOT use them - we verify the data independently.  This may change in the
future... we may bomb the query at a credit burea and if it can't veryify
it directly then we may do the work ourselves.

Either way it won't be a problem if the person is not in any of the
databases we eventually use, because we do the background work ourselves.

It's hard for us to automate this because we cover so many countries.
Automatic procedures are different in the US to in .ZA and .UK...

Look - this isn't going to be perfect,  because there will be people who
we just cannot service.  However, PG uses a "web of trust" model.  I'd
recommend that Lars configure the PGP key checker to trust several
signatures, including Thawte's Basic and Premium ones,  and those of
several well known and trusted developers in each country.  That way
developers can get their keys signed by a local developer if they can meet
them personally,  or through Thawte as a general CA.

That's the real beauty of PGP!

--
Mark Shuttleworth
Thawte Consulting