Re: Debian testing organization: netscape

>Marc Andreessen wrote[1] the X interface of Mosaic
Now thats good news... and gives some promise.

...[snip]

>Don't you notice the subtle difference?
Oh yes, there is a great difference...

>I've heard that Microsoft promised that "in the future" they "maybe"
>will support Explorer for Linux. But they have done NOTHING and I don't
>think they will ever do nothing.
I totally agree here.

>Microsoft is promising what they don't want to support, while Netscape
>is doing what they can't promise to support.
In that case, I suggest we should try and promote the support of Netscape
for Linux.

The problem that has been reported here, is a bug with Netscape.  I have
run Netscape on a remote Indy... only using my doddy computer here as a
visual.  And the result was a 4mb core dump on the Indy.  Netscape has
an option to limit the amount of colors it is to use... and running
Netscape in mono mode, gives full color of the web contents on my
hardware (which means it works with my svgalib), so all the components are
in place for it.

>About the fact that Netscape doesn't work on your hardware ... well,
>even Mosaic or Arena doesn't work with svgalib ... and then?
>You can't do everything. None can.
Mosaic works fine here...  I use it instead of Netscape.

I know you can't do everything... but reading that they don't support GNU
gave the impression that they very well knew about the problem, and were
ignoring it on purpose... if that turns out to be wrong, and I certainly
hope so... I'll gladly eat my bits and run Netscape with a smile (I do
on Indy :-).