Re: RFC: Proposal for signed packages

nn201@cus.cam.ac.uk (Nikhil Nair)  wrote on 14.02.97 in <Pine.LNX.3.95.970214215503.11851A-100000@amasis.trin.cam.ac.uk>:

> On 12 Feb 1997, Christian Leutloff wrote:
>
> > Enrique Zanardi <ezanardi@molec1.dfis.ull.es> writes:
> >
> > > - One Debian developer should be choosen to sign with that key every
> > > new release of a package. (Perhaps Guy Maor, via his dinstall script?).
> >
> > this requires an automated procedure. Guy can't check all packages
> > manually. So it's possible to get a trojan signed by Guy oder the
> > Debian project. It's really bad for debian to officially sign a
> > trojan!! So it's better to get all packages signed by persons
> > individuelly. In the cases where it isn't possible there can be
> > someone signing for another developer.
> >
> > Please, don't do (mostly) automated signing!!
>
> I have to second this.  I've never claimed to be an expert on security,

*If* some sort of automated signing will be done (note I don't say this is
either a good or a bad idea), then the key should indicate just what it is
that is asserted.

A possible userid to demonstrate this idea would be

    "Debian Installer: *.changes matched key in developer keyring."

but most definitely *not*

    "Debian Project <debian@debian.org>"

> but even I can see a few potentially serious pitfalls here.  For one
> thing, if there's to be an official Debian secret key, it *must* be kept
> securely - which probably means it can't be on Master or any other
> multi-user system.

This is probably true. I think the original design (was it by Ian?)
included something like a machine reachable only by a serial cable, and
not running a login on that port, but instead a specialized program that
just did verification and signing, or something similar to this.

Of course, there's the option of requiring someone to actually be online
for the signing and provide his/her passphrase interactively, but I
suspect we're way too large for this to work.

MfG Kai