Re: Switching to RPM (Was Unidentified subject!)

On Fri, 21 Feb 1997, David Engel wrote:
> On Feb 20, Bruce Perens wrote
> > I think Debian would be better served by RPM as a package system for
> > many reasons. We could abandon this deb-make/dpkg/dselect sillyness. We
> > could be using the package system that Red Hat, Caldera, and
> > _EVERY_OTHER_ Linux distribution that has a package system is using
> > now. We could have the capability for those other distributions to use
> > Debian packages, and for us to directly install their packages without
> > kludges like "alien". We could immediately have a better
> > package-selection user interface. We could have _one_ kind of
> > dependency, instead of 4 (soon 5 if we are to implement "Breaks:").
>
> I used to be in favor of this, but I am strongly against it now for
> the reasons others have given (mainly we would either become a RedHat
> clone or have to deal with the problems caused by clueless users
> installing RedHat RPMs on a Debian system).  The only way I would
> support such a move is if the RPM format were extended to prevent the
> careless installation of non-Debian packages on our system.

I am too busy at the moment to answer to all of this in detail, but
let me throw in a few comments that you should think about:

Have a look at the Linux Jounal 1997 Buyers Guide page 128f.

Phil Huges clearly states here that he thinks that our packaging shame is
the best of all the ones that are available in the Linux market, giving
it up for something like the RH system would be a shame.

What we need to get done is two things:

1. We need a somewhat more userfriendly "version of dselect".
2. We need to get rid of the installation problems in the core system
3. (Related to 2.) We need a much larger mandatory core system.
   Lately I worked quite a bit with FreeBSD, and I would STONGLY suggest
   that everyone here takes the time to do a testinstall of FreeBSD
   and plays with it to the point of doing an actual "make world", which
   compiles the whole core system, including libs, gcc and all utilities.
   Adopting at least some of their ideas could save us an enormous amount
   of problems, but it is also admittedly quite a bit of work to merge the
   best of both worlds.

Mike

Michael Neuffer                i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
mike@i-Connect.Net             Home of the Debian Master Server.
mike@debian.org                14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140
503.641.8774                   Beaverton, OR 97005