Re: What is necessary if we are to keep dpkg/dselect

On Fri, Feb 21 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> I see that maintainer sentiment is still toward keeping dpkg/dselect.
>
> My major problems with dpkg/dselect are:
>
> 1. In one whole year nobody has been able to come up with a simpler
>    replacement for dselect. This is not because a simpler replacement
>    isn't possible, it's because dselect is wired into the dpkg internals
>    and nobody's managed to isolate those internals into library form and
>    document them. The user friendliness problems of dselect are not
>    necessary to the operation of the system. They should be repaired.

[...]

> So, I expect to see several changes:
>
> A. An organized team of people, under Ian Jackson or someone else, who
>    distribute the work on dpkg/dselect between themselves. This means
>    that Ian Jackson should perhaps be doing design, but not a majority
>    of the work.

With only minor packages I'm currently maintaining, you can count on me
contributing.

Taking Bruce's analysis in 1. above as valid IMO we should start out with
designing a user interface that is consistent with that presented on the install
disks. This doesn't necessarily mean we must build on dialog, we may decide to
change look and feel of the base install too.

> B. A prioritized list of tasks for the package system, agreed upon by
>    the maintainers. Items like dselect should have higher priority
>    than things like deb-make.

> C. A sincere effort to implement a category-selection tool to replace
>    dselect for the casual user. A schedule for this effort, and regular
>    progress reports.

I fully agree with introducing some professionalism into Debian.

I'd definitely like to see an installation tool appealing to the 1st time
user in 1.3 even when this means to defer the release but suspect that the
majority will disagree.

> If I don't see some progress in these directions, about two months will go
> by and then we'll bring up this same argument again. I'm going to stick to
> this issue until I see progress or we drop dpkg.

Finally.

  -- Siggy

--
Siggy Brentrup <bsb@debian.org> aka: bsb@uni-muenster.de
PGP fingerprint = C8 95 66 8C 75 7E 10 A2  05 61 C7 7F 05 B6 A4 DF