Re: dpkg issues

sgk@kleinmann.com (Susan G. Kleinmann)  wrote on 21.02.97 in <199702211005.FAA01217@kleinmann.com>:

>    B.  I think _any_ project is in trouble if/when there is some
> perception that its key components can be developed by only one person.
> Such a single-point-failure mode amounts to an admission that the
> goals or rationale of the project have not been articulated.  That
> is not so surprising; the goals of complex development projects evolve.
> The challenge is to articulate those changing goals in real time;
> without that, the project cannot be managed.  Put it another way,
> if/when ever the goals are articulated, then it should be possible
> to break dpkg down into a suite of programs that can be maintained
> by an evolving group of people.

Should we perhaps create a devel-pkgtools list to specifically discuss
dpkg, dselect, debmake, and similar stuff?

There seems consensus that it *is* a fairly important part of the project,
and there seem to be a lot of people (including Ian, if anybody didn't
notice) who think that any design decisions on this stuff should be
discussed before being implemented.

MfG Kai