Re: Unidentified subject!

mike@i-Connect.Net (Mike Neuffer)  wrote on 21.02.97 in <Pine.LNX.3.95.970221192702.19661R-100000@nomis.i-Connect.Net>:

> Not quite.
> For the core system (which we will need to define) the necessary step
> which is still missing here is the fact that we do NOT upload
> binary packages anymore, but instead have ONE CVS tree in which all the
> source are beeing kept. Changes are beeing made as CVS commits and updates
> are beeing done via cvsup, which is incredibly fast in syncing the
> sourcetree.

We could do such a tree even today, from the source packages.

> No, there would not be such a thing. For this we need a STATIC makefile
> system (I know know a whole bunch of people are yelling now, but this is a
> proven and stable way) that is capable to build the system top down in
> multiple stages (like gcc itself is beeing build in 3 stages) this
> resolves circular dependencies and ensures that everything is buildable
> from itself.

I don't think we really need that. See my other message for what would,
IMHO, yield essentially the same results with a lot less disruption to the
way we currently do things.

> This way we could easily take for example a RH/SPARC, but the Debian core
> sourcetree on it, type "make world" and voila you get everything
> for a complete Debian/SPARC. In FreeBSD this goes even so far that
> you can let it build the ISO image of the distribution CD that
> you then just copy on your next CD-Recorder......

I'm fairly sure that the cvsup stuff, and the make world stuff, *is* quite
possible without serious changes in current maintainer procedure.

If we do it (I didn't mention the CVS stuff in the other message), the
testing machine should probably not be the one publishing the tree. After
all, test machines happen to crash once in a while.

It's also probably no good to have people log into the test machine over
the net (except to test that functionality, of course). Testing really
needs to be done in an environment where rebooting and fixing hangs is not
a problem - that is, not on any sort of "production" machine.

MfG Kai