Re: dpkg/dselect changes needed

Hi,

	I may have something to add re: dependency checking and
 package ordering in dpkg. I am working on a stand alone tool to do
 precisely that, and though it does use dpkg to do version number
 comarisions, it is independent of dpkg otherwise. Perhaps this could
 be used by dpkg; it should work just fine with the bare bones perl in
 base, and a tsort binary to do the topological sort.

	This would minimize duplication of effort, and leave you-all
 free to work on the user interface isuues.

	It is a fairly clean set of libraries, and could be used as
 such by dpkg, or maybe converted into a library to be used by it (new
 perl compiler, or I could write it up in C++ (the object oriented
 nature of the implementation would make C++ an easier language to
 implement it in, if I *had* to give up perl5).

	manoj

ps. As to whether I am a qualified C/C++ programmer, I have
 written a 250K SLOC distributed queuing subsystem, and implemented a
 a distributed print system using it, and have been considered so by
 OSF, The Hong Kong Jockey club, MCI Atlanta, and DEC, amongst others
 (personally, I would normally find find Ian's remark of ``If the
 project has a highly competent C programmer whom I can trust to do
 this right'' mildly offensive, but hey, I thought, that's just Ian,
 and he probably meant it to be a cold statement of fact [maybe I'm
 getting thin skinned in my old age]).

--
 I question whether we can afford to teach mother macrame when Johnny
 still can't read.  -- Governor Jerry Brown