Re: CVS

On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Richard Jones wrote:

> Ian Jackson <ian@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
> > I'm not convinced that CVS offers us much more than we have at the
> > moment.
>
> Ok I'll try and do some convincing :)
>

> > It is claimed that CVS is a way to get a complete buildable source
> > tree.  However, in fact we already have the mechanisms in place for a
> > complete buildable source tree.  The new source format should make it
> > possible for us to rebuild the whole distribution from source.  When
> > I'm back on the project with more time to spend on it I intend to try
> > this.
> >

> Whilst I think CVS would help get a complete buildable source tree I think
> this is one of the minor benefits.  Most of the good stuff comes once you have
> put the source into a CVS tree, and if we are near having a buildable from
> source tree system this shouldn't be too much hassle.  I think that CVS offers
> much more flexibility in building *and* maintaining than the current system
> (see others comments re: building from any date, ease of maintenance of
> stable/unstable trees, high visibility of changes if bugs need fixing etc).
> Now this isnt to say that the current system couldn't offer these features one
> day, but why spend time on something that has been done already?
>

> > CVS is not, I think, an appropriate tool for us.  In particular, CVS
> > makes assumptions about the coherence, trustworthiness and so forth
> > about the developers that probably aren't true for Debian.  I get the
> > impression that FreeBSD's development is done by a smaller, tighter
> > group of people than ours.
> >

> I think its more that FreeBSD makes assumptions about coherence,
> trustworthiness etc than CVS making them.  CVS is amenable to varied
> developement structures, FreeBSD has chosen what many perceive to be a rather
> restrictive structure, I think that this is perceptions is behind some of the
> "we dont want a facist centralised core-team type environment" sentiments.
> However CVS doesn't have to be that way, FreeBSD's structure is one of
> developers choice rather than one forced upon them by their choice of CVS.
>

> > I think our packaged source approach is a good one, and we should keep
> > it.
> >

> Whilst it may be good, I think CVS is better. [note: I'm sorry if "CVS is
> better" with no explanation sounds trite but I don't wanna be more repititive
> that I have to, this stuff is covered in other posts, maybe I'll post a
> summary of why I think CVS is better to debian-devel].
>
> > If there is a requirement for version control I think this should be
> > done by keeping appropriate diffs or whatever on the master site.
> >

> And what system would you use to control these diffs?
> I recommend CVS [ big <smile> in case it was missed ].

I don't think, this needs to be commented.

You are IMO right on the spot in all points.

Why re-invent something that some of the (IMHO) brightest people
on this planet have worked on  and refined for about 30 years.
Something that that has broven over and over that it is a good
thing to do ?

Do we need to change these things just because we want to be different ?

Mike

Michael Neuffer                i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
mike@i-Connect.Net             Home of the Debian Master Server.
mike@debian.org                14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140
503.641.8774                   Beaverton, OR 97005