Re: Core release test bed

richard@a42.deep-thought.org (Richard Jones)  wrote on 23.02.97 in <m0vyWS9-0024vzC@a42.deep-thought.org>:

>  Mike Neuffer <mike@i-Connect.Net> wrote:

... and for some reason, I haven't seen that mail  ...

> > On 22 Feb 1997, Kai Henningsen wrote:

> > > I don't think this is quite as problematic as it first looks, as long as
> > > we don't junk what we already have.
> > >
> > > That is, keep the stuff separated in packages. Make some policy
> > > decisions that essentially say, standard level stuff must not ever
> > > depend on stuff with lower priority, neither for build nor for use.
> > >
> > > And devise a test bed that can batch-compile all the standard packages
> > > from one tree. At least for a release, the test bed must be able to
> > > recreate all the standard packages, from an environment consisting of
> > > the very same standard packages, otherwise no release.
> > >
> > > And it doesn't mean any change in what the maintainers or users actually
> > > do, except when we find bugs that way. It should, however, improve
> > > release quality.
> >
> > Yes, it would mean, that all maintainers cease to upload binary packages.

No way.

That would mean that *everybody* who wants to test unstable needs to build
at home.

I really, *really* hate that idea.

Keep the current source and binary packages for unstable. For releases ...

> > For releases we would need one dedicated machine per architecture that
> > compiles everything and then creates the binary packages which get put on
> > the FTP server.

... do this.

> > > If nobody else wants to do it, I could look into the mechanics of such a
> > > test bed. Something like a test bed package, that just needs access to a
> > > local mirror and a large enough bootable partition to work on, so that
> > > everybody who wants to can do this test - the more people do this, the
> > > faster we find those bugs.
> > >
> > > Comments?
> >
> > Go ahead. But it shouldn't be a package. We already have cvsup as Debian

Of course it should. That's how we make stuff available. And I see no
reason at all why we would not want to make this available.

Cvsup may be nice, but this is the interface between our packages (binary
and source alike) and cvsup, or whatever we'll use.

Cvsup doesn't grok .dsc/.deb, and dpkg{-*} doesn't grok cvsup.

MfG Kai