Re: IMPORTANT - RSA DATA SECURITY CHALLENGE STUFF

> From: Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com>
> > My only concern is that by joining the leading group, we will be eliminating
> > the "race" element of the contest.
>
> I think there are challengers who aren't going through "zero"'s key server.
>
> 	Bruce

Maybe, but I have no knowledge of them.  I saw a few web pages of other teams that
tried the earlier challenges, but it didn't look like they were attempting this
one.

Maybe everyone is going through "zero"'s key server because they don't want to split
the effort.  After all, the prize money that RSA is putting up is very small.
Most crypto-geeks realize that the goal of the contest really is to allow RSA to
say to the U.S. government:

  "Hey, you think 56-bit key encryption is too strong to export?  Then how come
   we were able to use the Internet to crack it using brute-force methods with
   only a $10,000 incentive?  Don't you stupid government bureaucrats realize
   that U.S. banks and businesses use this technology to protect millions of
   dollars in digital money zapping around the Internet daily?  56-bits isn't
   enough."

Sounds like a noble goal - that's why I'm participating.  :-)

Cheers,

 - Jim