Re: qmail license

On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> He wants the MD5SUM of the .src.tar.gz to remain unchanged. We can do that
> using dpkg-source without a problem. It's just strange.

Huh? Does he? Well, that's not what he told me.

I wrote to him (two days ago), explaining our source packaging system a
bit. I explained his qmail-1.00.tar.gz would be distributed as
qmail_1.00.orig.tar.gz and that the latter would be generated from the
former by the commands:

  tar xzvf qmail-1.00.tar.gz
  mv qmail-1.00 qmail-1.00.orig
  GZIP=-9 tar czvf qmail_1.00.orig.tar.gz qmail-1.00.orig

I explained our "Debianization" diffs would be kept in a separate
qmail_1.00-1.diff.gz file and I told the .dsc file would contain the MD5
sum of the two other files, signed with the Debian maintainer's signature
(that'd me mine, at least according to Sven's list :-).

I also explained the kind of changes I would be doing for Debian (the
debian directory, a qmailconfig script, FHS compliance, etc.) From what I
understand he just doesn't want qmail to suffer the same fate as older
sendmails, where diverging versions with big security hole were still
called "sendmail" (... or something like that; I'm not really familiar
with the history of sendmail). So I explained that while I need to be able
to do some patching for a Debian package, I wouldn't be rewriting the core
of qmail to, say, do multiple deliveries per SMTP connection... because if
a user of my qmail.deb found a security hole in qmail, I still want to be
able to point the finger at him (Dan).

Finally (this is getting a bit long-winded), I explained that
> For my qmail package to make it into the main Debian distribution, people
> must be able to take my qmail package (and other Debian packages), put
> them on CDs/tapes/etc. and sell them for profit without having to ask your
> permission.

He seemed pretty okay with the whole thing... He made a couple suggestions
and wants me to email him a copy of the .deb. No comment about keeping the
MD5 sum of my tar.gz and his identical. And the "distributors including
qmail.deb on Debian CDs and selling them for profit without having to ask
his permission" was ok too.

So if all that is ok with everyone, people can expect a qmail.deb before
next Monday at the most. (Hopefully much sooner.)

  Christian