Re: source packages and upstream source

Hi,

	I see. But sometime the upstrem sources are not in
 name-version.tar,gz format. And they don't unpack in predictable
 places. They may unpack into the ./Name/ directory, ./name/
 directory, or <bletch> the current (./) directory.

        It would be harder to use automated tools like
 dpkg-buildpackage and dpkg-source, since we can't really depend on
 where the tar.gz file will unpack.

       Also, renaming the top level source directory does not sound
 like a ``gratituous change in original source''.  And I don't think
 dpkg-source can handle all upstream source files (angband unpacks
 into the current directory, and usually the tar files are called
 ang180.tar.Z, or new.tar.Z, or win32srcfixed.tar.Z).

      I think as long as none of the files are changed in the archive,
 we should be ok. In a perfect world, we would be able to live with
 the upstream tar file. (We would not need Debian in a perfect
 world).

      We should examine this more before we start fixing
 that-which-is-not-broken.

      manoj
woozy on melatonin adminstered by honorable significant other.
--
 Tie?  You want me to wear a *tie*?  Listen: There's only one time in
 a man's life when he should have a rope knotted around his neck, and